Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The doctor finally took that blasted gall bladder out!


I got to see my gall bladder after they took it out and there were a few stones, one bigger than a pea, yellowish in color.

Gallstones usually remain asymptomatic initially.[5] They start developing symptoms once the stones reach a certain size (>8mm).[6] A main symptom of gallstones is commonly referred to as a gallstone "attack", also known as biliary colic, in which a person will experience intense pain in the upper abdominal region that steadily increases for approximately thirty minutes to several hours. A patient may also encounter pain in the back, ordinarily between the shoulder blades, or pain under the right shoulder. In some cases, the pain develops in the lower region of the abdomen, nearer to the pelvis, but this is less common.[citation needed] Nausea and vomiting may occur. (wikipedia)

I have been going through this for two years!!!

This is what they did.

Laparoscopic cholecystectomy: Three to four small puncture holes for camera and instruments (available since the 1980s). Typically same-day release or one night hospital stay, followed by a week of home rest and pain medication. Can resume normal diet and light activity a week after release. (Decreased energy level and minor residual pain for a month or two.) Studies have shown that this procedure is as effective as the more invasive open cholecystectomy, provided the stones are accurately located by cholangiogram prior to the procedure so that they can all be removed. The procedure also has the benefit of reducing operative complications such as bowel perforation and vascular injury. (wikipedia)

It happened last Monday and I came back to work yesterday. I am doing surprisingly better today, but I hate not feeling myself. My mom came up for a few days last week and took care of me, there is nothing like mom's care. She made me chicken noodle and broccoli and cheese soup, cleaned my house, did laundry and much more. Thank you so much mom!!!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Sam...well look who joined the world of the living? Haha...just kidding. I was wondering where you had gone though. My dad just got his gallbladder removed yesterday. I hope getting yours removed helps you feel better because it's about time you didn't have to struggle with sickness. By the way, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, your new family picture. So cute. We're gonna get one in November. And to answer your question, Jackson is going to be a mouse for Halloween. We are going to be the 3 blind mice I think. I know...cheesy. I love you!